Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Not One, Not Two

All is One

People often say this. Few attempt to substantiate the claim.
Mostly, it depends on context.
Clearly, there are more than one letter in this sentence…so in this context, all is not One.
Hundreds of billions of separate molecules are the building blocks for a lake…and yet the lake is a single mass of water.
One might observe the individual pieces as emergent alterations in an infinite pattern….so, although they can be percieved as many, they really are just one.

Some go so far as to say that the line between where I end and the computer screen begins gets awful blurry at particular stages in consciousness.
To the linear mind, this doesn’t make any sense at all.
We tend to say that we have a body more readily than we say that we are a body…but just for a moment, we can ask ourselves, “If I am a body, where do I end and my eyeball begin? Where do I end and my fingernail begin? Where does my hair end and my body begin? Am I my hair? or am I my eyeball?
Am I my brain? or am I my nerves?
So, the line between myself and my body can easily be blurred when we go deep enough into the illusion that we are our bodies…so why not the line between the body and the computer screen, right?….
The line where I end and the eyeball begins is the same line where I end and the rest of the universe begins.

It’s a scary notion though….because if beingness begins at the point where I end, then it’s quite possible that I don’t exist at all! ha ha
This would probably be the ‘Void’ that people refer to in high stages of consciousness…where the ‘I’ is really the formless substrate of reality that is the source of all beingness. Something coming from no thing…and so we resolve then, that nothingness must be ultimate reality….since something cannot come from no thing.
…but as consciousness forges onward, even further up the proverbial ladder, the notion of void, is transcended for a state of Allness.

Getting back to the title of the blog…’Not One, Not Two’, I think the gist of that notion points to the un-separateness of existence and essence…the dancer and her dance.
The dancer and the dance are two things, and yet they are one thing…for the dancer is only a dancer whilst she dances. All is One, and yet all is not One.

There’s a duality between duality and nonduality to be observed here…and it can only be resolved by identity with both notions as though they were the same notion.

-Rob

No comments: